星期三, 4月 23, 2008

Several excerpts

There is no remembering without forgetting. There is no remembering that cannot become forgetting. Forgetting can become a deferred remembering. Forgetting can be way of remembering. They open out of each other, light becoming darkness, darkness becoming light. Between consciousness and the unconscious there are no stable boundaries. Dacning between remembering and forgetting, at once spanning them and within each, is imagining.

If seeing in blindness provides an image of knowing in passion, then the seeing of tears is an image of knowing in compassion. I care for what I know; I weep at its suffering. I weep at the suffering of those I love, my neighbourhood, my community. I care also for what I do not know, the other. I weep at its suffering. For I know that in loving and tending my child I sacrifice the thousands of children around the world who have no love, no tending.

The blindness of so much seeing; the profound seeing in blindness; the blind as the archivists of vision; the blindness of tears; eyes given for weeping as much as for seeing.

From A Shaft of Darkness: Derrida in the Archive Fever - Verne Harris

4 則留言:

匿名 說...

wanna read this book!

sheungyee 說...

haha, this is the book: http://www.douban.com/subject/3037302/. As a whole it isn't that great but I found a few of the articles really poetic (in my own interpretation :p)I can photocopy you and Iris "A Shaft of Darkness: Derrida in the Archive Fever - Verne Harris" where most excerpts were taken from. HO HO tai!

I especially enjoy studying when I came across articles of this kind, other times it's still ho boring n cham.lol.

Realizing ppl would really read myquotes, I will keep on taking down notes to make studying/reading more enjoyable :)

匿名 說...

heh zillion thanks for the copy! (ngor ng hak hey la!lol)

yes so true. it's like every line is being engraved onto your heart and mind. when i come across inspiring sentences during reading my heart will be beating fast (may even be faster than when i bump into my lover whoa :P). quote dor d! it's an enjoyment to read at office without holding a book haha
(well the fact is im still at office seeing no end of the day....)

Jing Wong 說...

That is one of the most inspiring quotes I have come across lately!! BRILLIANT!!!
Thanks!!!!